Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 27, Issue 103
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat Apr 17 15:54:19 2004

I came to the same conclusion, Rei.  I swallowed hard and got the 35
Summilux Asph a while back, and have no regrets whatsoever.  But when I saw
how good the 90 pre-Asph 'Cron was, I did a head-to-head comparison with a
borrowed 90 AA using real things I often photograph.  I also did some
tripod testing of the various stops on distant subjects on Provia.  The 90
AA was unbelievable at f/2, but once stopped down at all, the difference
was not significant for the things I photograph.

There was one added bonus.  At f/2, the AA seems to have less depth of
field than the pre-Asph.  A graph of distance vs. the the sharpness of
focus would probably be a very sharp peak with steep "skirts" for the
AA.  For the pre-Asph, it's more like a (pardon the expression) bell
curve.  This means that two people 20 feet away might both seem in
acceptable focus with the pre-Asph, but one would look slightly out of
focus with the AA.

I think that if I end up doing a lot more stage and concert photography,
I'll eventually get the 90 AA. Especially if they pay me.  For now, the
pre-Asph is just fine.

--Peter