Subject: [Leica] R8 vs digilux 2 metering. :-)
From: s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal)
Date: Sun Apr 18 01:48:29 2004

| R8 - digilux 2 metering.........
|
| Not sure this will mean anything but thought it might be of some
interest to
| the technical folks.
|
| I was shooting with my R8 wearing an 80-200 f.4.0 lens and the Dgilux
2 with
| obviously it's attached f.2.0, 28-90 zoom. and wondered how the meters
| might match-up on the identical focal length and subject.
|
| I was working the meters set for centre weighted and 90mm on the
80-200 and
| 90mm on the digi2.
|
| Same positon and shot a couple of frames R8, then the Digi 2 and the
| exposure readings by both cameras was absolutely identical and the
returned
| film-digi images as recorded are absolutely identical.
|
| Does this mean anything and is it important to life and successful
| photographs?  I haven't go a clue, however it means they can be used
set at
| the same focal lengths and both have matching exposures if one wishes
| have matching images.
|
| Another small note:
| The digi 2 can be set to see and shoot your images in B&W. Nice
feature.
| However the viewfinder is in B&W all the time, so you're shooting and
| viewing the world in B&W!
|
| And this has to be the weirdest way to witness the scene while
shooting. No
| matter how wired we maybe into shooting B&W film, we still see in
colour.
| But when you've changed the Digi 2 viewfinder and recording to B&W now
your
| subjects are in B&W as long as you look through the viewfinder.
|
| Viewing our world in mono is truly something else when you are
shooting!
| Does it make it better? I don't think so because we don't constantly
look
| through the camera any differently than using an M camera, accept
through
| the viewfinder of the m at least the subjects are still in colour.
|
| just for what it's worth, if anything. But it is Leica photographic.
;-)
| ted

That,s not really suprising is it Ted?
Both centreweighted exposure meters by the same manufacturer.
For me it would be interesting to compare the result with  metering like
Nikon,s matrix .I,m not familiar with either Leicas so don,t know what
the term would be.
best regards
simon

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] R8 vs digilux 2 metering. :-))