Subject: [Leica] starbucks proves that America works?
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Mon Apr 19 12:17:53 2004

At 04:53 PM 4/18/2004, Michiel Fokkema wrote:
>When I travel I make a point of it to eat and drink the local food.
>I detest the fancy British hotel where they only serve Heineken instead of
>a proper English beer. I don't eat pizza in France but I take the typical
>French menu. When I'm in Germany I drink 'hefeweizen' and eat sausage. In
>Scandinavia I eat fermented fish but don't drink alcohol because it is too
>expensive:-)
>I don't like the big restaurant chains that serve the same food and drinks
>all over the world. I'm afraid that one day the only choice in food I have
>will be:pizza hut, KFC or McDonald s.

To me, this is what travel is all about: to step outside of my daily life
and experience something new and different...and that includes food and
drink.  I don't want the same thing I have at home.

While a part of me is excited to see that I can buy a Cadbury's Flake from
a gourmet shop here in Durham, NC, another part of me is sad that on my
next trip to England I won't be as excited to bite into that beautifully
textured chocolate bar from the airport shop.

Message from michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema) ([Leica] starbucks proves that America works?)