Subject: [Leica] The Wall (Photography Forbidden)
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon Apr 19 18:07:45 2004

Sometimes I think that photography is often forbidden because the
ubiquitous point-and-shoot flashes its flash in anything but bright
sunlight, and sometimes even then.  This ruins it for those of us who would
photograph responsibly.  The constant barrage of twinkie lights ruins the
experience for other visitors, and Management reacts by banning photography
altogether.

Apropos this attitude:  A while back, I photographed a concert.  I
submitted a shot of the final bows to a local paper, and it was
printed.  Shortly afterwards, a Person in Charge (PIC) called me angrily,
using all sorts of fearsome words like distraction, harm, attorney.  This
person wouldn't listen to a word I tried to say.

Some time later, I encountered the same person, who started chatting with
me as if nothing had happened.  The following (abridged) ensued.

* * *

Me: Are you still angry at me?

PIC:  Oh, no, of course not.  You know, it turned out that yours was the
only decent photo we got of the whole event.  But you know, the hall
doesn't allow photography, because flash is *so* distracting to the
performers. . .

Me:  But I didn't use flash.

PIC:  Huh?

Me:  I almost never use flash, and certainly not at a concert.

PIC:  But how can you get any pictures?

Me:  Mutter mutter blah blah fast lens. . . mutter mutter camera suited for
this kind of thing. . . blah blah fast film. . . mutter mutter skill and
experience. . . blah blah timing the picture with particular beats and loud
passages in the music, mutter mutter been doing it for thirty years.

PIC:  Oh.  You're very gifted.

* * *

What with P&S cameras and slow zooms on SLRs, a lot of people no longer
realize it is possible to take pictures indoors without flash.  Those of us
who know how to do so therefore have a lot of explaining to do.  Before
9/11, we often could.  Nowadays, many places take the George Orwell
tack--"Anything not specifically permitted is forbidden"--and we forbid
everything we can think of.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] The Wall (Photography Forbidden))