Subject: [Leica] Less Bang for Your (*)Bucks
From: ajt at mrps.demon.co.uk (Tony Terlecki)
Date: Tue Apr 20 16:37:36 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 05:53:18PM -0400, Buzz Hausner wrote:
> Roasting coffee beans causes the break-down of caffeine molecules.  The
> longer you roast, the less caffeine per unit of beans.  Espresso beans
> are generally roasted to within a mere smidgen of palatability.  Ergo,
> less caffeine per measure of coffee than one might expect to find in
> other brews.  Think of it like developing film...

While roasting drives off a very small amount of caffeine it is generally
insignificant enough to say that roasting doesn't actually dictate caffeine
content. Caffeine content is generally down more to the type of bean rather
than the degree of roasting. Robusta contains generally about 2 times more
caffeine that Arabica coffee. Then you get into the varietals - a Celebes
Kalossi will contain far more caffeine than say an Ethiopian Harrar. And
so on and so forth...

While caffeine is soluble in water it is less soluble than most of the good
ingredients we are trying to extract from the bean for espresso so it is the
limited time that water is in contact with the ground beans which dictates
the caffeine level. If you get an overextracted coffee then more water has
passed through the coffee and extracted more of the caffeine and other
unwanted components. Caffeine is generally higher in coffees brewed using
other methods because the water is in contact with the coffee for a much
longer peiod of time so more caffeine is extracted.

And beans for espresso are not roasted to "within a mere smidgen of
palatability" (well there I suppose we get back to Starbucks but I was
hoping we were improving on that!) They are roasted to produce the optimum
cup for that particular blend of beans. When I have a specific blend I am
able to adjust the roast I give the beans, together with both the brewing
pressure and temperature of my machine to produce the optimum cup. In
addition to that there are many other factors such as extraction time,
extraction volume and the grind needed to obtain this.

Did I mention there are fanatics out there that obsess over coffee? Did I
mention I was one of them? <g>

--
Tony Terlecki
ajt@mrps.demon.co.uk