Subject: [Leica] airport security heads up...again/OT
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Thu Apr 22 16:30:06 2004

carry on caution...and related to Ted's experience

from another list...

Have any of you jet setters ever had damage to
your PBs while going through TSA security check?
Despite that I have travelled with my PB, via
plane, 5 or 6 times now, I have never had it
damaged while it was outside of it's sturdy,
padded, leather case. I had removed the PB from
it's case; and placed them each in separate bins,
as instructed. While they were going through the
screening belt, I was going through the
"walk-through" when the beepers went off.  I was
told to remove my knee-high boots, place them in a
bin; and go through again. When I cleared the
second time, my PB had been replaced in it's
leather case; and I replaced my boots; and took my
PB in it's case and went aboard.  I never store my
computer in an overhead storage bin; nor do I ever
use my computer when aboard a plane.  When I got
it to my MI destination, I opened the leather
case; and noticed that the computer had been
placed upside down and backwards in it's case--by
the security check personnel. There was a hole
punctured inward, on it's right side, between the
right battery and the air vents--right where the
CD drive would extend beyond the width of the
battery.  There is NO DAMAGE to the padded leather
case.

When I called Apple Computer and described the
position of the punctured damage, they said it is
located where the CD drive is as well as where the
logic board is; and it would be a Tier 3 status
repair, which would cost $1K to repair!!!

I understand from a few travelers that TSA,
despite that they have claim forms on their
Website, are VERY TOUGH to process a claim through
for damage to any electronic property, including
computers!!

Has anyone any suggestions as to how to best
process a claim?  Should I take photos of the
damage and/or show it to a local dealer to verify
the damage?  Or what?  I need my PB for a business
trip next month.

I would appreciate any suggestions on this matter
as I paid $5K for this very dependable business
tool that I've travelled with, since I purchased
it, in 1996--without damage.

--
Cordially,