Subject: [Leica] RE: Sunday morning walk around
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Tue Apr 27 12:35:43 2004

Irony and jest do not work well in email.
The members of the Leica Users Group speak about 20 different languages, though we conduct our business in English.

It is not at all unusual for a person who is a native speaker of English to misunderstand subtle nuances of attempts at humor in email. People for whom English is a second or third language are very vulnerable to misinterpreting.

I'd prefer that you use B.D.'s approach: if somebody is being an asshole, tell them that you think they are being an asshole. I'd prefer that you do it offlist, though.