Subject: [Leica] That's it, I'm throwing my cameras in the river
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Apr 27 16:02:32 2004

Mark Rabiner offered as only Mark can:

>>> So there is an inherent tendency to get freaked out by the photographer
> sitting next your work. Thing is they are just as convinced that you are
> better than THEY are and that they have to hop to it to catch up.

Hi Mark,
Right on! Gone through that freaked out moment many times only to find out
later they were just as scared of me and my photography as I was of them.
:-)

> So I don?t sweat it when I see one of Edward Weston's peppers or Paul
> Otterbridges prints. I figure they feel just as threatened by me as I am
> them! <<<<<<<<

Of course and too many people get all wet knickered out over some of these
old time guys, and yes of some of today's shooters thinking they are the
only ones in the world capable of shooting what we see offered.

When in reality right here on the LUG there are people with talent, who
given the opportunity and same conditions of shooting, might well make
smooth pepper people look like amateurs and also make the most gorgeous
prints imaginable.

It's timing in so many cases, years of being around and being media promoted
that some of today's photographers think because it's a big name and well
published, no others could possibly do equal. Which of course is pure
nonsense.

Like you I admire the work of others, but I rarely ever get taken aback that
they are the only people in the world who can do it. Hey they were all
amateurs at one time and just as clueless as the rest of us when we started.

They just happened to be in the right place and era at the right time.

ted