Subject: [Leica] XTOL
From: rolfe at ldp.com (Rolfe Tessem)
Date: Wed Apr 28 19:49:24 2004

On Apr 28, 2004, at 10:27 PM, Don Dory wrote:

> Matt,
> Xtol works best as a diluted developer, try the times given at the
> massive development chart with dilutions of 1:2 or 1:3.  I have had
> great results going down to 70ml of stock Xtol to 210ml of water(per
> roll of 36) with all the Neopans, Tri-X, PanF, all the Agfa B&W's, and
> Delta 400.  My times at 68F run from 13.5 minutes for Neopan 1600 to
> 17.5 minutes for Across.  As with all B&W try with something that
> doesn't matter to dial in your system.

I have been involved in a previous religious war on the LUG with
respect to XTOL dilutions and don't want to revisit that. But for
recent subscribers, let me just restate the facts: Kodak recommends
100ml of stock solution per 35mm roll. The company used to publish
times for 1:2 and 1:3 dilutions, but it has withdrawn those
recommendations due to customers reporting failures at those dilutions.
As a practical matter, if you are using a JOBO system it is difficult
to use dilutions beyond 1:1 while observing the 100ml per roll
limitation due to tank capacity. My personal feeling is that by
diluting 1:1 you get all the advantages of dilution that are
practically obtainable. The stuff is so cheap that I just don't see the
point in pushing your luck with excessive dilution, but others
obviously disagree.

What I do agree with is that XTOL is the best B&W developer to come
along in over 50 years, combining speed, fine grain, good acuance, and
excellent keeping qualities if proper procedures are followed.

As with most things in life, YMMV.

Rolfe
--
Rolfe Tessem		|	Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com		|	96 Morton Street