Subject: [Leica] Coolscan 5000 out of the box
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Thu Apr 29 08:31:36 2004

At 07:57 AM 4/29/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>I checked the specs on the Coolscan V alongside the 5000. Is their
>difference in dmax, at 4.2 and 4.8 respectively, that noticeable? The scan
>time of the V, since I'm not a production house, isn't a draw back for me,
>but the almost $500 difference is.
>Any thoughts???
>S. Dimitrov

Slobodan -

I'm not sure about the differences in the V and the 5000, but the
differences in the IV and 4000 are that the IV scans at 14 dpi vs 16 dpi
for the 5000,  2900dpi vs 4000 dpi,  and there are no multiple-sample scans
for the IV.  If the differences are similar, I'd say it's worth it to get
the bigger, better scanner.  You don't want to scan everything and just
have to rescan it later.  The multiple-scan option is worth it for
negatives or slides with dense shadows.  However, if the V gives you all of
that, go for it.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com