Subject: [Leica] re: Ecuador and what happened to it.
From: dbirkey at hcjb.org.ec (Birkey, Duane)
Date: Fri Apr 30 06:33:29 2004

When you say I wonder whatever happened to it.... do you mean  1) HCJB. 2)
your shortwave radio. 3) your Leica IIIC. 4) the photo of you by the
equator.
5) the sign planted right at the equator in beautiful Guayaquil.  : )  : ) :
)

Well HCJB is still very much alive and well...   www.hcjb.org
<http://www.hcjb.org>   Few people have ever refered to Guayaquil as
beautiful, however it is much more so today than 10 years ago.  However I
imagine that the sign you saw near Guayaquil has probably been moved several
hundred miles north to the actual Equator, which is just north of the
beautiful city of Quito...  :  )   The old monuments along the equator still
exist, although one was moved from Pomaski to Calicali...   Today, there is
a real nice complex and monument with a museam displaying Ecuador ethnic
diversity, although I'm told the monument is about 60 to 100 feet south of
the actual line...    I enjoy giving people tours of the museam as I been to
most of the communities and even know some of the people pictured in the
exhibits by name.

This year's Miss Universe pageant will be held in Ecuador... so you'll be
able to see some 15 minutes of how Ecuador looks today..   The funny part is
that Ecuador is going through somewhat of a political crisis and the
opposition has essentially agreed to delay their desired presidential coup
until after the pageant.  They really like beauty pageants here and every
annual neighborhood event has an elected "queen" and a "miss congeniality"

I'll miss it though, as we'll back in the Chicago area for a couple months
this summer.  (it meaning the pageant as well as the presidential coup)

Duane ( AKA an incurable kidder) Birkey

Bob Cole wrote:
I am constantly amazed and delighted by the tremendous range of LUG members
around the world. Duane's posting brought back boyhood memories of listening
on my short-wave radio to "La V?z de los Andes"--HCJB-- and hoping that one
day I'd get to see Latin America; I finally made it a long time ago and
actually took a picture [with my old Leica IIIC] standing alongside a sign
planted right at the Equator in beautiful Guayaqu?l, Ecuador. I wonder what
ever happened to it. --bob cole

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador South America
Duane's Photographs of Ecuador