Subject: [Leica] If You Really Want Your Pictures to Last...
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat May 1 13:40:55 2004

bill harting said:
Subject: Re: [Leica] If You Really Want Your Pictures to Last...

> When my pictures are collected, the museums will have to worry about
this.paper is > good enough for me<<

Hi Bill,
But if you have some absolutely smashing material that's of interest to
future generations don't you think it maybe a good idea to make a small
effort to prolong the life of the image?

After all we photographers, all of us pro and amateur a like, have some, if
nothing else, a minor responsibility to future generations because we are
the recorders of our times and life of today. Throughout our lives once we
become involved in picture taking, film or digital, we become recorders when
we put that camera to our eye and make an exposure.

I agree most people do not relate to their camera's in that fashion, however
it's the truth. Particularly if you have old " family photo albums" and you
look back and see what your ancestors looked like, wore or what the city
looked like where you live.
Generally we see these albums as something neat to look at and to learn
from. Well OK, that's how I relate to them .

At the National Archives of Canada's Photo Collection there's a separate
collection
created by them, a Ted Grant Photo Collection with all my material from the
first 40 years as a photojournalist.

And everything I've done over the past 15 years to date, we have tabulated
who, where, when and what, which makes the collection far more valuable when
I finally go horizontal and non-breathing. ;-)

As you know Sandy Carter and myself just released our new book, "Women in
Medicine. A celebration of their work." The first copy handed to me has been
signed by both of us and noted as the first copy and being sent to the
National Collection as happened in the case of my previous 5 books.

Eventually all the negatives & contact sheets from WIM will be turned over
to them as well with complete details for each situation.

I suppose I could leave it all sit around and wait for some archivist to loo
k for the material a 100 years down the line, but I'd rather know that maybe
all my efforts will be available for some future photographer to look at and
possibly learn something from my efforts.

So I don't believe in leaving things just on paper as you've suggested for
someone else to find.

ted

Replies: Reply from wharting at verizon.net (bill harting) ([Leica] Ted, I Really Want my Pictures to Last)
Message from wharting at verizon.net (bill harting) ([Leica] If You Really Want Your Pictures to Last...)