Subject: [Leica] Album
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun May 2 19:12:39 2004

Peter Dzwig  questioned :

>>> PS a 400 on a IIIf??<<<<<<

Oh sorry Peter, it never occurred to me you were working with a lllf. If I
were shooting this kind of material it would've been with a couple of R8's
and long glass a 400 probably, macro adapter in pocket or on lens. Plus a
super wide 15mm on the second body depending what I was trying to shoot. :-)

>>> I was lying flat on my stomach in three degrees of frost :-) The nearest
blades
> of grass were VERY close and were always going to be lost. What I wanted
was
> the frost on the seed heads. It wasn't originally taken as a show shot, I
was using
> it to compare performance with a Digilux.<<<

The lying on yer belly in the frosty grass is bad enough as I know too well
from shooting in the arctic, no grass up there, just frozen tundra or lying
on the ice. Along similar lines, is lying on yer belly in about three inches
of ice cold water in the middle of a forest glen trying for a similar angle
as you did.

Then of course once you are wet and get up to move on, the temperature goes
down and your clothes begin to freeze on your body! And damn that's cold.
;-)

Bottom end ...... getting the picture is always more important than ones
comfort, providing the picture in the end is worth it. Unfortunately on the
light table later we wonder ......  "What the hell was I thinking?" ;-)

In your photo there's a horizontal point where you could crop off the
distracting out of focus making a wide narrow shot with the crisp cold
frosty grass and weeds looking not bad at all.

As I re-call the crop point is about half way up the shot, sorry I don't
have it in the machine any longer or I could give you a closer reference
line.

ted

" <pdzwig@summaventures.com>