Subject: [Leica] Photos from a recent visit to the Niki de Saint Phalle installation here in S.D.C.
From: attinasi at mac.com (Marc Attinasi)
Date: Wed May 5 21:34:14 2004

I had the pleasure of visiting the local sculpture garden by the late
artist Niki de Saint Phalle. I took along a newly purchased Rokkor 40mm
on the CL, loaded with B&W, and the M7 with Fujia Astia. As you might
imagine, particularly if you are familiar with this artist's work, the
color shots were more interesting.

The sculptures are fantastic, and the entire experience was just a
blast. The kids had a great time playing on the totems and resting in
the shade under the central sculpture. Next time I'll bring darker
sunglasses though, it was quite bright. One really nice thing about the
gardens is the obscurity - there are very few people who find it so it
is not crowded. Apparently this was the artist's intention too. A nice
little secret garden!

I have posted a couple of pictures here:
http://homepage.mac.com/attinasi/PhotoAlbum51.html
These were from the M7 with either the 35mm 'cron or the CV 21mm on the
Astia, all shot on 'A' at about f8 or f11 - it was bright and I think I
should have rated the Astia at 80 instead of 100 as the sky was just
too dark (no filters used either). That film really impresses me -
incredibly vivid and still maintains decent skin tones. The contrast in
these shots was over the top though, thanks in part to the incredibly
clear sky that day.

I put up some shots from the digital too, if you are interested in that
sort of thing. They are mostly snapshots but they show much more of the
sculptures. http://homepage.mac.com/attinasi/PhotoAlbum49.html

Finally, you can find more information about the sculpture gardens
here: http://www.ci.escondido.ca.us/events/califia/

Thanks for looking!

- marc