Subject: [Leica] If You Really Want Your Pictures to Last...
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Sat May 8 05:16:58 2004

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> Lets not forget boys and girls that a silver image imbedded in film
> has much
> less trouble lasting than a silver image embedded in paper. Hard to
> get that
> stuff out out out!
>
> I fix my film twice and fully expect the stuff to be printable using
> the
> latest antimatter holographic technology in the year 2525.
>
> I'll be in my grave but somehow I'm sure still paying taxes.

That's about right. Indeed given the resolution of film, there is no
reason not to consider *film* an excellent archival mechanism for
digital images themselves -- who really cares if a few bits get
changed, those low order bits are much like Brian's huffman codes in
any case. Indeed, have a llook at:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/05/06/disc.rot.ap/index.html

(if you still believe that CDs/DVDs will actually last forever)

and

http://www.oprit.rug.nl/otten/Comparison.html

(if you still believe that a 5 megapixel camera has the same resolution
as 35mm film).

Now of course you could simply "archive" your digital images by
printing them out on an inkjet printer using a Pictorico film (or
something similar) and an Epson 2200/4000 etc. at 8.5x11 and indeed
these digital images might last a reasonably long time.

Jonathan