Subject: [Leica] used photo books.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun May 9 07:18:24 2004

Hi folks,
This isn't off topic because it's about used photography books. You know
from yesteryear when the world was all film and Buck Rogers was a space
cowboy.

I'm a consummate used book store miner, always digging in them searching for
photography book nuggets, like from the 1900's, the earlier the better. Each
find reveals so much of where we came from as photographers, how our camera
gear, particularly Leica's, were used and what those photographers saw and
captured compared to what we see and capture today.

Two wonderful finds yesterday, "U.S. CAMERA ANNUAL 1939." and "THE GERMAN
PHOTOGRAPHIC ANNUAL1956"

"U.S. CAMERA ANNUAL 1939."
A $20.00 purchase of a million dollar look at the photography of 1939 as
selected by Edward Steichen. A small portfolio of his work at the beginning
is beautifully re-produced with a self portrait dated 1898 followed by b&w
portraits of his famous folks and other subjects.

Today if it still existed it would be a magazine on the rack in a shop. 1939
it's a wire spiral bound hard cover book with beautifully reproduced
photographs fit to frame. Amazing quality production, aaaaaaaahhhh the days
of real books! :-) All in all I can only say, if you're a book miner like
me, keep a sharp eye for this as it'll be a treasure in your personal
library.

"THE GERMAN PHOTOGRAPHIC ANNUAL1956"
Another $20.00 nugget and the first edition printed in English. A single
photograph to a page illustrating 120 pages of very interesting pictures of
which 33 were shot with Leica's!

The book is assembled in two parts, the descriptive section containing a
tiny bio of each photographer and why, what he used and how he shot the
picture, actually very interesting copy.

The second half a clean photo book of un-interrupted pictures, predominately
b&w with 8 colour plates. Obviously you can see where colour ranked! ;-)

( I thought it fit appropriately with my well used, "Real Photographers
shoot B&W, eat sushi and drink scotch!")  ;-)

just weekend chatter.

ted

Replies: Reply from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] used photo books.)
Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] used photo books.)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] used photo books.)