Subject: [Leica] A Runner's eye view of the Boston Marathon
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sun May 9 17:06:51 2004

As far as I know, it is true - and frankly, looking at the subject, I am
inclined to believe it. The 'shooter' comes across like any looney,
creative MIT kid. The one thing I don't know, and I've sent the
photographer an Email asking him, is whether he set up the trash bin
sequence, whether the subject suggested and set it up, or whether it
just 'happened.'

But, yes, it's an amazing piece of work. The photos themselves vary
widely in quality, with most mediocre at best, but a few quite strong.
But the text and photos together are a real killer. As I viewed it for
the first time, schizophrenia didn't occur to me, but I was certainly
going to tell my student to do everything he could to get his subject
into MIT mental health for help for depression - and then comes that
last section. Wow.

As to the running essay, I - obviously - think you guys are being more
than a bit harsh. We're talking student here; not photo student; not
journalism student; not art student; but science student at MIT taking a
liberal arts course to fill out a requirement. Someone who hasn't done
any photography before, and someone to whom running a marathon is a new
experience. I judge my students based on where they've come from and
where they end up - not on the basis of whether they turn out something
that's ready for prime time; I expect the best to get better, and the
worst to get better. And best or worst, I think that what she produced
is something that's fun to look at, and that definitely tells a story,
visually and in words. I may be wrong, but I'm going to guess that both
of you run, or have been runners, and so to you it's ho-hum. But I may
be wrong. :-)

B. D.