Subject: [Leica] Best known photo ?
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Wed May 12 11:58:41 2004

B.D. wrote:

> Thanks, Tina, that's what -IMHO - a number of people seem to be missing.
> Great fiction - All Quiet On The Western Front, Henry V - and great art
> - Guernica, for example, can make extremely powerful statements, and
> have enormous impact. But they don't gain that impact by masquerading as
> fact.
>
> When fiction comes to the party masquerading as fact, truth goes home
> early.

I have not heard any one claiming the contrary on this thread.
I and others have only contended that the power and beauty
in Capa's photo would not be diminished were it staged,
and that aesthetics should not be judged on journalistic
standards, and certainly not on those standards alone.
There's much more to photography than photo journalism.
There's more than one way to get to the truth than just facts.

On the other hand, if you pass fiction for fact, there
is a problem, clearly.  But it is not an aesthetic problem.

We are in violent agreement.
:-)

- Phong

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Best known photo ?)