Subject: [Leica] documentary photos thread
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Wed May 12 18:29:39 2004

Ted Grant wrote:
> Steve Barbour offered:
>
>>a simple word about staged photos...
>>
>>      We live in a world where words and truth are
>>as reliable as smoke.The current "prison photos"
>>debacle help illustrate that if all we had were
>>mere words...the outrages would be a non scandal...
>>
>>....no one would believe the words. Words and
>>reports have become as suspect as politicians
>>statements.
>>
>>If photos through manipulation become unreliable
>>as truth...I believe they too will entirely lose
>>their value... I fear where this would leave us.<<<<<<<
>

> Hi Steve,
> People always believe a photograph as it stood was the truth of what it
> illustrated. It's easy for politicians to lie and today most intelligent
> humans accept that that's part of being a politician. It isn't right, but it
> get's them elected. :-(
>
> Writing journalists can bend their stories in many fashions, some to the
> extent of lying, however when caught there's hell to pay and the writer
> looses their credibility.
>
> But the photograph? "Why that's truthful proof!" ??????????????????
>
> Well Ok it was that way and is 99.9999999999999% of the time unless twisted
> for propaganda. But we as photographers have always been accepted for what
> we show in our pictures, basically the way it was and how we recorded it. At
> least we always had "accepted truth" on our side.
>
> But wrong use of PhotoShop for journalistic purpose is a huge danger of
> destroying our creditability as photojournalists and once that's gone what
> the heck can people believe what they see in print.
>
> Advertising illustrations? Who cares what it looks like as we know it's
> created for selling a product.
>
> But the truth of saying what's happening in a photojournalistic photograph
> and then find out it's been contrived and set-up is degrading to all of us
> who are photojournalists. Certainly who's pictures are accepted as truthful
> recordings of  real-time happenings.
>
> If it's a compelling and meaningful photograph just don't offer it as the
> truth of what happened.
>
> In our new book, "Women in Medicine" we have a disclaimer that none of the
> pictures have been digitally manipulated.  Sandy & I felt this necessary
> given the digi screwing around with pictures these days. Also as credibility
> for the medical profession.
>
> It's when a supposed truthful picture is discovered to be not the truth as
> described, that our last clean image of telling the truth with our
> photographs goes right down the drain. Then we get lumped in with the liars,
> spin doctors and politicians. Heaven forbid, I'd quit before that happened!
> ted

Ted, thanks for your detailed answer that gets at
the heart of my concerns....today we are living in
a world of smoke and mirrors, all spun and
twisted...I  hope that photography which seems as
important as ever,  can maintain its
integrity....but I am very concerned about this.
Even the beheading was a staged act,  in response
to photos, and it was done to be  photographed,
then disseminated on the internet to create its
own sense of truth,  for propaganda value.......Steve

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] documentary photos thread)