Subject: [Leica] Best known photo ?
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed May 12 22:03:56 2004

Phong and Tina:  I think you are *both* right.  And it's a very complex
subject.

On one hand, I think most people believe that if a tool exists, it will be
used.  If something is relatively easy, it will be done.  So indirectly,
every artistic Photoshop manipulation adds to the background sense of
"everybody does it." This makes it easier for people to believe only what
they want to.  I don't think anyone believes intellectually that "pictures
don't lie" anymore.

On the other hand, images have a way of bypassing the critical
facility.  They get into our brains and guts in a way that words can't.  My
directing teacher in college used to tell us that "an audience hears with
its eyes."  In othe words, if the dialog says one thing and the  visuals
say another, the audience will believe the visuals.

Right now, I think most people in Western societies believe that news
photos are usually truthful, that content-changing alteration is done only
occasionally, and the profession usually polices itself
successfully.  Altered photos are mostly the territory of the Politburo,
McCarthy & Co., supermarket tabloids, divorce lawyers and the occasional
corrupt D.A.   But given the expanding political and religious
fundamentalism afoot, how long will it be before the *possibility* of
manipulation is turned into the *certainty* of manipulation when a photo
contradicts someone's world view?

How all this plays out is going to be very interesting.  I'd hate to be
prohibited from dust spotting my photos lest I corrupt the "truth checksum"
embedded in my TIFF file by my camera or scanner.  And what of gray areas
like the environmental portrait that appears in a newspaper or news
magazine.  Many times these are staged in order to characterize the
subject.  Unless the staging is obvious, it has much of the power of a
journalistic photo, yet its honesty depends on the honesty of the photographer.

Aside:  With all this in mind, I must confess that the following photo of
Mark Rabiner, which I posted recently, was a recreation.  But it was a
faithful recreation of a gesture that occurred only a seconds earlier, when
I hadn't quite focused the damn camera.  And it wasn't exactly Iwo Jima.
:-)
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/temp/30RabsSkinny.htm

There.  I feel better now.

--Peter