Subject: [Leica] Help with an old Summicron 90mm
From: banacloj at mac.com (Juan Gea-Banacloche)
Date: Thu May 13 18:43:23 2004

Hello,
I am a relative newcomer to the list, and I have only posted a couple
of times before, asking for help (and getting it). I am a Spanish
physician, but I live and work in Bethesda, MD. I started in
photography in 1976 or so, and a couple of years ago I decided I would
like to take pictures with the cameras I had wanted to own back then in
the 70s. After starting with a Leicaflex SL a couple of years ago, I
finally got a Leica M3 last year (which, of course, was not being made
in 1976, but had become a "dream camera" for me back then). I have been
using "classic" (i.e., inexpensive) lenses, shooting B&W and developing
in XTOL (the XTOL I owe to this list: thanks).

I recently got what I thought was a nice old 90mm Summicron for the M
[I guess a SEOOM (or maybe a SEOOF-M???), s/n 1742368]. When I opened
the box, I was disappointed to see it cannot be mounted on the M3-- it
has a Visoflex mount. However, the drawing of the lens on the side of
the box shows an extra ring with the M bayonet. That this ring was part
of the original lens is suggested by the size of the box and the marks
on the velvet lining inside the box.

I would like to believe the lens could be used either on the Visoflex
or mounted directly on the M3 by removing or adding this hypothetical
ring. Does anyone know if this is the case or not?

If this is the case, does anyone know which is the Leica code or number
for the ring? It is hard to look for it without knowing that (hard to
post a succinct WTB message without that information).

Thanks in advance,

Juan Gea-Banacloche

Replies: Reply from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] Help with an old Summicron 90mm)