Subject: [Leica] Scanning Software
From: timothy.nelson at yale.edu (Timothy Nelson)
Date: Fri May 14 07:32:58 2004

I'm astonished that so many folks prefer Nikon scanning software over
VueScan for scanning negatives! I was ready to toss my LS-4000 out
the window until I switched to VueScan. The Nikon software was great
for scanning slides, OK for color neg, but absolutely clueless for BW
negs. VueScan gives me full-range scans of negs, and has excellent
profiles to choose for many specific color and BW neg films. My
recollection is that the Nikon software only has generic negative
film profiles. If you've been settling for these generic profiles,
you will be surprised by what your scans will be like with a more
accurate film profile.  You can test the appearance of various film
profiles on the same raw scan, and even save the raw scan to apply
different profiles, white balances, or other treatments later. This
is like shooting RAW in a digital camera. My experience has been that
VueScan TIFFs rarely need more than "artistic" adjustment in
Photoshop, while Nikon-guided scans needed major work just to get
something that looked like a contact print of a neg. I decided that
Nikon had put its focus on the slide shooters, with negative films
secondary.

As to the supposedly complex user interface of VueScan, what's to
learn? You choose the source, the destination, and the film profile.
The rest is optional adjustment, explained in the on-line User Guide.
The default scans are usually excellent because the software sets
exposure and white balance automatically. Perhaps the unhappy
VueScan experiences were with an earlier version? It is now up to
VueScan 8.

Tim Nelson

Replies: Reply from abridge at dcn.org (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Scanning Software)