Subject: [Leica] Scanning Software
From: timothy.nelson at yale.edu (Timothy Nelson)
Date: Fri May 14 12:21:20 2004

Adam Bridge <abridge@dcn.org> wrote:
>I routinely, about once a quarter, compare scans from the latest version of
>VueScan with the Nikon software. I don't see a difference.

Adam, now instead of astonished, I'm mystified, because I do this
comparison with each new release of NikonScan, too. What's your
secret for scanning TriX with NikonScan? I've been scanning for a
couple years now, and have yet to find any adjustments or settings
within NikonScan that avoids highlight clipping with my TriX negs and
at the same time profiles the capture onto a full shadow-to-highlight
range, with normal contrast negs. Some negs produce both highlight
and shadow clipping within NikonScan, regardless of how I adjust
white and black points or the exposure. Thin TriX negs are OK, Delta
100 negs are OK, but I have 30 years of TriX negs that were developed
for darkroom printing, and NikonScan just couldn't deal with many of
them, even with analog gain adjustments. No problems with VueScan,
which squeezed them all into the 0-255 range with just default
settings, so it was indeed a software, not a hardware limitation. I
tried very hard to get NikonScan to work, because these negs were the
main reason I wanted the scanner in the first place, and I was
concerned initially that the scanner was the limitation. Nikon
Support was not able to help me on scanning negatives, and I came
across at least one website largely dedicated to testing and
discussing the inherent limitations of NikonScan for handling
negative scans, with various suggested work-arounds. Rich Pinto, who
patiently got me up and running with the scanner, worked with me on
this issue, and finally rescued me by suggesting I give VueScan a
try. It wasn't until then that I discovered what my scanner was
capable of doing. The GUI just wasn't an issue for me--seemed pretty
obvious how to use it, and it was irrelevant in any case because VS
worked for me and NS didn't.

I find the same limitations in the current version of
NikonScan--unless they are thin or low contrast, NS can't contain my
TriX negs.
Tim