Subject: [Leica] Flame Robin
From: rdcb37 at cyberone.com.au (Rick Dykstra)
Date: Fri May 14 23:42:08 2004

The background comes from a couple of eucalypts off in the distance.  I
positioned the tripod/camera to get these trees behind the stake.  My
only other choice for background, given the angle of the sun I was
working with, was dry grass which was way too bright.  I would have
preferred a little more detail in the background but the distance
between subject and background was too great.  It almost makes the shot
look unreal.  Flame Robins like open areas for their social activities,
though they skip into the trees pretty quick if a falcon turns up.

I have a similar shot of a Willy Wagtail where the background is
dappled sunlight on eucalypt leaves of differing colours.  The
background is much closer and the aperture smaller, and the colours are
quite nice.  They make the shot.  I plan to get this one scanned with a
similar size print for the wall.

Thanks for your comments.

Regards, Rick Dykstra.