Subject: [Leica] DAS Weeks 45 and 46: Had enough yet?
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Mon May 17 00:44:33 2004

On Monday, May 17, 2004, at 06:56 Australia/Melbourne, Dante Stella
wrote:

> Before I return to my gulag (er... office) to work on stuff for
> tomorrow, I have put up two more pictures, trying in a hopeless
> attempt to catch up.  If you like them, think kindly of the person who
> shot them; if they bore you, remember that it wasn't by design.
>
> http://www.dantestella.com/past/past46.html

Often with portraits, you need to know something of the person before
making "comment" and this may be true here. To me she looks bored/half
asleep, but she may be gently dreaming, and this may be a reflection of
her personality. It is a soft and gentle portrait with lovely colour:
too much brighter would have spoilt the plot. I find that great
portrait photographers seem to be those who take portraits of 'great'
or at least well know subjects, and this helps the general populous to
communicate with the image, as they have some idea or think they do
about the sitter

> http://www.dantestella.com/past/past45.html

This one looks like a good challenge in b/w printing. Bach used to
create little masterpieces for others to practice with: getting this
print "right" presents the learners challenge, but again without
knowing the Eastern market, its a successful but limited play on angles
and shape.

cheers

Alastair