Subject: [Leica] The death of quality and support. Was: HELP WITH M6 TTL
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon May 17 19:40:27 2004

Adam offered:  very interesting points in today's electronic new world.

> posting (abstracted above) and his note to me I realized what he's really
> responding to - and it resonates: no one gives quality support any more,
you
> don't even remember what it's like, so you have to go to some community of
> people who know in order to find out answers.<<<

Adam,
I'm not going to copy your complete post, however you gave the M6TTL
question a new meaning for the owner that I had not considered. Taking it
back for support that unfortunately in many cases does not exist in the
world of today. :-(

Where my comments related basically to the "good old days" of a shop keeper
having well trained and knowledgeable staff, when a glitch occurred you took
the camera back and it was replaced immediately. Unfortunately in today's
world it's rarely found and as you pointed out, we as consumers, rely more
and more on our "computer families" to answer and advise on innumerable
things.

So in this vein I did jump a tad too hard on the leica M6TTL owner and once
again I offered an apology and hopefully he has been able to receive a free
replacement or repair service..

>>I hate to shop at Circuit
> City. BUT...this past fall I moved a Sony TV under their extended warranty
down
> to my place in Arizona. I turned it on - it went "poof" - and died. So I
called
> Circuit City. They had a repair agent come and get the TV. When they
couldn't
> get a part to fix it I got a voucher for the NEW price of the TV so I
could go
> to the store and buy a new one and have it delivered. Think I'll buy my
next
> major TV at Circuit City and use their extended warranty? You betcha.<<<<<

I will not return to any store where they give you the BS line of every
excuse they can about not taking responsibility for anything that goes
wrong.
Then as often as I can after, I tell everyone I know what bad service and a
lousy
store it is. Sooner or later I hope enough people will get the message and
the shop will begin to suffer.

However, like you and Circuit City with the service they gave you, man I
praise any company like that every opportunity and when I require a product
they carry that's the company I returned to first and foremost.

ted

 <abridge@dcn.org>