Subject: [Leica] 50mm lenses should be compulsory.
From: nbeddoe at lehman.com (Beddoe, Neil)
Date: Wed May 19 06:10:24 2004

See http://www.camerahobby.com/EBook-Perspective_Chapter17.htm for an
example.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peterson Arthur G NSSC [mailto:PetersonAG@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 1:43 PM
To: 'Leica Users Group'
Subject: RE: [Leica] 50mm lenses should be compulsory.

Neil,

Not trying to speak for Buzz but only for myself, a valid point I get from
what he wrote might be exemplified as follows: if you take a photo with a
15mm lens, you could certainly crop it to print the identical area covered
by another photo taken with the same camera pointed in the same direction
but with a 400mm lens.  Yet the two pictures would not be at all the same.
In the cropped 15mm photo, the foreground would be exaggeratedly close and
background objects exaggeratedly distant, whereas in the 400mm photo the
distance between foreground and background objects would be exaggeratedly
compressed.  I seem to recall hearing (or reading) somewhere that, for 35mm
photography, an 85mm lens (or something in that neighborhood) produces
pictures with a foreground-background relationship approximately the same as
what's seen by the human eye.

I think I'm right about that, but someone please correct me (i.e., educate
me) if I were wrong.

Art Peterson
Alexandria, Virginia