Subject: [Leica] 50mm lenses should be compulsory
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Wed May 19 09:49:31 2004

snipping from SonC:
"My favorite thing to do when I have a lens new to me is to go out with that
lens alone and try to find shots that suit it.  As Buzz says, the discipline
enforced by having one lens will bring you to the point that you don't have to
think when using it.  You pay attention only to the picture."

I agree.  For me, less is more when I'm shooting only for myself.  If
there's an assignment, that's different.  On my dream Honolulu trip I'd
take my IIIc and a 50.  I'd throw in an XA or XA2 for the wide angle shots
and as a backup.  I'd probably also bring my Panasonic LC40
(Notevenlikaleica) for the things digital can do best (like macro on the run).

On a trip to Costa Rica last year I took too much stuff and ended up
juggling equipment more than I liked, and not taking many great pictures
either.  On the next trip (New Orleans) I took just the IIIc and Summar and
did a lot better.  The trouble is when you love all your gear you're
tempted to take it all.

Of course, if your whole reason for going to Hawaii is to shoot some
particular event or attraction, then you need to gear up for
that.  Otherwise, resist the temptation.

Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr. SE
Albuquerque, NM  87108
505-262-4085