Subject: [Leica] Those egrets? They ARE related to dinosaurs
From: abridge at dcn.org (Adam Bridge)
Date: Wed May 19 15:13:31 2004

On 5/19/04 <telyt@earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)> thoughtfully wrote:

>Black-crowned Night Heron.  This one doesn't seem as sharp as the others.  Is
it
>cropped, or were there some heat waves?

It was cropped quite heavily. It was windy but only about 80. I'd never noticed
these birds before but we saw several fields-full of them.

I have shots of the immature brown form as well.

I'm still having a dickens of a time learning too focus that puppy. The depth of
field wide open can be very narrow. And for some reason the R8 exposure meter is
at least one stop, maybe two, too fast.

As to the raptor - the wings were white underneath with black and it had a
beautiful gray cap. Unfortunately when it landed to devour its catch it was
virtually out of sight. (good for it though, kept the crows away). It looked
much like the kite in your raptor section.

That field was incredibly alive with activity - there were great blue herons out
in the middle, and circling raptors of several species. Eventually farm-hands
came and all the birds moved far away.

But it was pretty neat!

Adam