Subject: [Leica] Scanning silver halide films - which one scans best? - OT
From: n.wajsman at chello.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu May 20 21:18:45 2004

I come to this thread late, but still here is some of my experience.
While I agree with B.D. that the scanner should not dictate the film, it
is nonetheless an influence on the choice.

I use a 5-year old Nikon LS-2000 with Vuescan. You have all seen my
PAWs, often shot with Tri-X or Fuji Neopan 1600. I do not think the
grain or aliasing are a big problem in any of those images. My
experience is that some films do scan easier than others on this
scanner, but I can usually get a decent scan no matter what.

The films that I find hard to scan are:
- Ilford Delta 3200
- Agfa Scala (if underexposed)
- Kodachrome (if underexposed)
But I still have a fair amount of Scala and Kodachrome images on my
site. I have stopped using Kodachrome since moving to the Netherlands,
but that has nothing to do with scanning--it is the 2 to 3 weeks
turnaround time that I cannot accept.

In general, I find that dense film is harder to scan. So underexposed
slide film (whether Scala or colour) or overexposed negative film are
the worst.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman