Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 19 and 20: Seville/Arnhem
From: n.wajsman at chello.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun May 16 13:55:30 2004

Finally finished scanning a bunch of film, so I can catch up on my
postings.

The week 19 offerings were taken on my way from my office in Seville to
my apartment one evening. One of the things I really enjoy about the
city is that the people are really open and friendly, and are more than
happy to be photographed. In fact, when I approached these two elderly
ladies, I tried to explain to them that I just wanted them to carry on
with their conversation, but they insisted on posing, more or less:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_19.jpg

Due to the climate, much life in Seville takes place outdoors:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_19alt1.jpg

The two pictures above were taken with the CL, 40mm Rokkor on Tri-X.

The second alternate for week 19 was taken in the main shopping area of
downtown Seville. This mime was atypical--she talked!
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_19alt2.jpg
(M7, 35mm Summilux, Fuji Velvia 100F)

For week 20, we change gears completely...As I mentioned last week, I
went to the Commonwealth War Cemetery in Arnhem last Sunday to honour
those who had died to liberate the Netherlands and Europe. Around 1750
soldiers who died during the battle of Arnhem in September 1944 are
buried here. The cemetery is in immaculate condition, being tended by
the local population and of course various veteran groups. I took a
number of colour and B&W pictures, but somehow the colour ones just do
not fit. So the three shots I present were all taken on Agfa Scala, with
the M6 and 35mm Summilux.

Many of the graves have inscriptions such as the one on the left:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_20.jpg

A number of Polish troops were part of the Royal Air Force and the
British Army in general:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_20alt1.jpg

And people came from the farthest reaches of the British Empire to fight
and die here:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_20alt2.jpg

It was a very moving Sunday morning. As I was leaving the cemetery, an
elderly couple drove up in a car with British license plates. The
photographer in me said, "Great, let me stick around and get some better
photos with these people in the frame!" But the human being in me
prevailed--they were probably there to look for the grave of a family
member or a fallen comrade...I left them alone, got back on my
motorcycle and drove home.

The complete PAW index is at:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/indexpaw2004.html
and comments/critique are welcome and appreciated as always.

Nathan
--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands