Subject: [Leica] (w/o HTML ) Hey, Did I Call YOU a Republican?
From: feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio)
Date: Fri May 21 15:32:41 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 13:21, Marc James Small wrote:

> By US standards, Senator McCain -- who believes in Big Government and
> detests the insistance of the several States that they DO have some rights
> under our Constitution -- is somewhere to the left of Ralph Nader.  He is
> hardly "traditional" or "conservative" by any US standard.
>
> George Bush is a mild liberal:  he has eroded civil rights and has insisted
> on using the Federal authority for items for which it was never intended,
> such as the protection of the environment and for the suppression of Free
> Speech.  He is close to McCain in earning my dislike but he isn't quite at
> the McCain point yet.
>
> Me?  I'll vote Libertarian or I will write in a candidate.  Virginia, where
> I live, is going to go heavily for Bush so my vote becomes a meaningless
> protest vote.
>
> Marc

What I am getting at is that I think there is a significant ideological split in the
Republican party, so much so that people like my godmother, a staunch Republican
for more than 50 years, stepped out of the party before she recently passed away.
She disliked the growing influence of the religious right (she was religious, but
a firm believer in the separation of church and state) and the rise of the shrill
tone coming from people like Tom Delay and the neo-conservatives who reminded
her far too much of McCarthy and worse.

I am not registered with either party and have voted for both Republicans and
Democrats in the past. My allegiance belongs to the country and the constitution,
not an administration or a party. I vote for whom I feel will do the best for
the country as a whole, now and in the future.

Feli

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] (w/o HTML ) Hey, Did I Call YOU a Republican?)
Reply from dpost at triad.rr.com (Dan Post) ([Leica] (w/o HTML ) Hey, Did I Call YOU a Republican?)
Message from msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] (w/o HTML ) Hey, Did I Call YOU a Republican?)