Subject: [Leica] [OT] Capa Contax...
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Sun May 23 13:06:27 2004

that survived a few wars, or a fine example of "bush (as in Aussie) style
camera care"?

A divertimento that I wouldn't withold you.

A few weeks ago, I acquired a Contax 35T via eBay. At the end of the bidding
phase price was 329 AUD, about 229 USD. So it looked like a bargain.

The accompanying text was: In perfect working order. Some external wear and
tear shows as per pictures.

Pictures that went with it:
http://users.telenet.be/philippe.orlent/5b_3.JPG
http://users.telenet.be/philippe.orlent/73_3.JPG
http://users.telenet.be/philippe.orlent/75_3.JPG
http://users.telenet.be/philippe.orlent/a1_3.JPG

It looked like the owner had some problems focusing...

This is what I received a few days later by mail:

http://users.telenet.be/philippe.orlent/L1000329.JPG
http://users.telenet.be/philippe.orlent/L1000330.JPG
http://users.telenet.be/philippe.orlent/L1000332.JPG
http://users.telenet.be/philippe.orlent/L1000333.JPG
http://users.telenet.be/philippe.orlent/L1000334.JPG
http://users.telenet.be/philippe.orlent/L1000335.JPG
http://users.telenet.be/philippe.orlent/L1000336.JPG

I was, and this is an understatement, very surprised to discover some people
caressed their camera in such a way.

The horror...

I'm still in the process of testing if it works properly, but it looks like
the meter isn't working as should.
The lens looks OK, luckily.

About the titanium cast of this gem: it is about a micron thick and it tends
to peel off ;) Underneath it might be plain plastic.
Or was I just very lucky and did I get a very rare aluminum colour painted
black version of the 35T? :P

Lessons to be learned:
1 out of 10 eBay deals go wrong;
You cannot wish that people take care for their cameras like Karen Nakamura
does. (I bought a beautiful Yashica from her, that was exactly as
described);
If it looks like a bargain, beware.

Hey, I can still say to people when I pull out my 35T that I did a shooting
in a chemical plant, documenting the production of sulphur acid...

As they say down under:

Cheers mates,
Philippe A. Orlent

Replies: Reply from alal at duke.poly.edu (A. Lal) ([Leica] [OT] Capa Contax...)