Subject: [Leica] Epson digital, or what?
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue May 25 07:20:35 2004

Thanks to everyone who responded so far.

As I said, I don't contemplate giving up film or Leica M,  I can really
relate to what Doug Herr said.  In the 70s, I shot exactly two
films:  Tri-X and Kodachrome 25.  But today, I often need the speed and
convenience of digital.  If somebody who'll pay for a picture wants it
yesterday, I either have it yesterday or I don't.  If I'm going to
photograph some sort of event or group of people and everybody wants
pictures, I can either do digital, or spend an eternity at the scanner.

The Epson R-D1 is my first choice right now.  I prefer RF and I've got the
glass.  Like B.D., I'm salivating at the thought of my 35 Summilux ASPH
turning into the "world's best 50."  But if the real-life Epson turns out
not to be what I want or can afford, then there's Plan B.  Which is a DSLR,
and a couple of good primes.

Tina and Mark Rabiner both mentioned the ability to use glass they already
have: Tina's Leica R glass on the 10D and Mark's Nikon glass on the
D100.  The question is, how conveniently?  Same-brand AF lenses work as
advertised.  But what about other or older lenses?

I own some Olympus Zuiko lenses.  If I want to use those on a DSLR, my
choices are the Canons or the Olympus E-1 with adapters. But if I remember
correctly, there is no auto stop-down when you shoot or meter.  You either
have to stop the lens down with the depth of field preview when you meter
or shoot, or screw in something that keeps the lens stopped down to working
aperture at all times.  Tina and Mark, is that what you have to do to use
your R and older (non-AF) Nikon glass?  If so, it sounds very inconvenient.

One plus for the Pentax *ist is that the most recent firmware upgrade
enables you to view and shoot with a manual focus lens wide open.  When you
meter or shoot it stops down briefly. That's how I understand it, as
described at the beginning of the following article (under "Firmware Update
1.10"):  http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/bodies/digital/review.html

That opens up many possibilities for trying things out cheaply and not
spending a bundle on a lens I'd only use now and then.  One can pick up
good older Pentax K-mount glass for very little, and use it with reasonable
convenience in many situations.   I'm sure that the 6 mpix DSLRs will show
a marked difference between lousy glass and good glass. But because of the
anti-alias filters, I suspect that they won't see much difference between
good glass and great glass.

Karen mentioned the size issue re. the Canon 10D.  True, and it's one of
the reasons I'm thinking about other options.  Perhaps it's less an issue
with a prime than with a zoom.  Somebody mentioned on one of the Dpreview
forum that all the DSLRs will do OK, and the best thing to do is handle
each one and pick the one that feels best in your hands.  Hmmm.  If
manageable size is the number one consideration, the winners are the
Olympus E-1 and the Pentax *ist.

As for the fiddly-tweaky aspects of digital, yup, that's part of the price
of admission. Along with highlight paranoia and color balance compulsion.

Which is why I still prefer Leicas and film. All other things being
equal.  But sometimes they're not.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Epson digital, or what?)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Epson digital, or what?)