Subject: [Leica] Private: Epson RD-1, or what?
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue May 25 07:20:40 2004

Hi, Mark, thanks for the feedback.

At 08:14 AM 5/24/04 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Peter! all that scanning would be a no brainer - no timer if you just got
>a bulk feeder for some of the scanners I know they make one for mine, the
>Nikon 5000 and think they also did for the 4000. For 500usd.

Yes, if I did end up getting paid some significant amount for stuff, this
would be a good investment.  Right now I have a Canon FS-4000.  It only
does six at a time.

>As far as getting paid for for what?

I don't know yet.  Probably I just shoot the things I like and see what
happens.  I know what I'm good at.  People stuff, mostly.  Available light
B&W.  Classical musicians.  Theatre.  And humorous things.  And then every
so often I go out and shoot beautiful nature like every other Tom, Dick,
and Harry in the Northwest.

>IN other words create a slightly exclusive nitch for yourself because if you
>don?t your going to go crazy anyway competing against the masses of
>commercial photographers all doing the same general thing; upgrading their
>gear by at least 10 large USD a year.

I agree.  And I don't HAVE 10 big ones to blow every year.  I'm not
quitting my day job.  I just figure if I could make a few extra bucks doing
what I enjoy, why not?  Digital is just a tool to make it more convenient.

>I can't understand why you are combining the thoughts of getting paid for
>photography and dig-cams.

You misunderstood. I'm not.  The way it's shaping up, it's either the Epson
R-D1 or a DSLR and a couple of good fast primes.

>The Epson R-D1 as you say body for Leica M glass is about to come out any
>second and the world is going to change for a lot of us on this list.
>I'd be amazed if this cameras target market would be as you say "collectors
>and status buyers"

I hope you're right.  But the Leica world seldom makes sense  :-)

>Why would you compare the pricing of the Epson body for Leica M to a Remco
>toy-like Nikon d70?

Check out the review of it at www.kenrockwell.com.  Image quality and
operation sound top-notch.    I know what you mean about durability,
though.  It isn't as cheaped up as the digital Rebel, but I see your
point.  The D100 has been discontinued, BTW.  Maybe a D101 is coming out
with D70 brains and better brawn.

>The Epson will be targeted at much more serious shooters who don?t mind NOT
>using a 24-85 zoom for 500 to 1200 bucks but are willing to invest in 4 gems
>of Leica M glass instead for $6 grand and juggle them.
>I'm covered by these:
>24mm    f2.8 Elmarit M    ASPH  (I've got a C/V 21/4)
>35mm    f2 Summicron M    ASPH  (I've got the f/1.4 ASPH)
>50mm    f2 Summicron M          (got it)
>90mm    f2 Summicron M    ASPH APO (well, I have the pre-ASPH)

 >I think the Epson could easily come in at 3 grand if they can pull it off
>and we'd be getting off easy but 4 grand because of it's limited run.
>Perhaps its a question of how much money they're willing to loose to
>establish the market and get the jump on the Leica M digital camera coming
>out just before the ozone layer gives out on us.

When you put it that way, maybe it is worth the premium.  We'll see.  The
Bessa body is OK but semi-cheaply made.  I considered the R2 but decided a
used M body was well worth the extra money.  Actually, I'm secretly hoping
some Epson spy reads my remarks and says, "maybe we'd better not charge
$3K."  When Nathan trumpeted how willing he was to spend $3K on one, I told
him to be quiet in case they were listening.   :-)

>As for getting into the Canon system I have too numerous to mention Nikon
>glass I've amassed from 1974 to 2004

Uh-oh.  Nikon vs. Canon.  Religion.  Jihad. . .    :-)

>which I can mix and match on any of my
>half dozen Nikon bodies strung over that 30 year era. Manual AI lenses work
>and even look just fine on AF bodies and AF lenses work and look great on
>the manual bodies.

Yes, please how the manual lenses function on the D100.  That's a
consideration for me.  Good old glass you can get reasonably because it's
MF is a way to expand the lens set without going broke.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Private: Epson RD-1, or what?)