Subject: [Leica] The Critic
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue May 25 10:26:39 2004

Here we go again - They weren't all "staged," but neither were virtually
any of them "decisive moments" if what you mean by decisive moment is
that in an instant he saw a photo before his eye, whipped his camera up,
and captured it in a single shot.

I take the decisive moment to be that instant when you see the
photographic possibilities in a scene or even before you, not the
instant you push the shutter release, as you may push it dozens, if not
hundreds of times around a single scene or event - which the contacts
show HCB did. He was a prodigious shooter, and he  really "worked"
scenes, bouncing around like a kangaroo on speed.

As someone once observed - was it HCB himself - the decisive moment was
the instant when he saw the image on a contact sheet.

B. D.