Subject: [Leica] The Critic
From: timatherton at theedge.ca (Tim Atherton)
Date: Tue May 25 10:33:51 2004

>  but neither were virtually
> any of them "decisive moments" if what you mean by decisive moment is
> that in an instant he saw a photo before his eye, whipped his camera up,
> and captured it in a single shot.

We've also been through his before many times... :-)

"decisive moment" wasn't HCB's original phrase, nor is it an accurate
translation of the phrase/term he used in his original essay.

"decisive moment" was coined for the English (US?) edition of the
book/essay.

tim

PS - search the archives (are they working?) Johnny Deadman had the best
description of this if I remember correctly

BTW - I feel HCB's "eye" never travelled that well - America, China,
Portraits (even the French countryside) all seem okay. The best stuff always
seems to be from France and Spain - in fact I find some of the Spanish work
the strongest and most unique.

Replies: Reply from feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] The Critic)
Reply from timatherton at theedge.ca (Tim Atherton) ([Leica] The Critic)