Subject: [Leica] Summitar PAW - Older or Newer Summitar and Bokeh
From: michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema)
Date: Tue May 25 13:32:06 2004

Claude Hayward wrote:
> Best wishes from England UK from a LUG lurker.
>
> The experts will correct me but did early coated Summitars have a
> multibladed iris and the later ones an iris with fewer blades?  Does
> this account for the Bokeh in Aaron's pictures (later version lens).

Hello Claude,

The literture says that there were indeed two versions. The early type
with many blades making a circle and a later version with six blades.
The book doesn't say when the change was made except that it was after
the war. I actually own a summitar made during the war with many blades
and one made in 1950 also with many blades. The summitar was produced
from 1939 until 1955, but the most during 48-52. So if mine from 1950
has many blades, the version with 6 blades might even be scarce.

Does anybody know when the change took place? If not can please
everybody check their summitar and report the year of manufacture and
the type of aperture?

I'm not an expert on bokeh, but some people claim that the more circular
the iris is, the better the bokeh should be.

Best regards,

Michiel Fokkema

Replies: Reply from jimmy at rahul.net (Jimmy Patrick) ([Leica] Summitar)
Message from claude.hayward at btinternet.com (Claude Hayward) ([Leica] Summitar PAW - Older or Newer Summitar and Bokeh)