Subject: [Leica] This here fancy 50
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu May 27 07:11:46 2004

I think that in some ways Solms had to produce this lens - the current
line of M lenses includes a 21, 24, 28, 35 1.4, 75, 90 f2, and 135, that
are arguably THE best lenses available - for any type of 35 mm camera,
in their focal length. And then, in the middle of that incredible
line-up, they have this mangy old hound called Summilux. With the
release of the new Summilux, they have completed the redesign of the
Leica M lens lineup, and they can honestly and believably say that
pricey or not, this is the world's best 35 mm lens line up.

Now, will it make a damn bit of difference to the ultimate bottom line,
given that the release is coming as late in the history of film cameras
as it is? I seriously doubt it. My reaction to the release, and I'm sure
it will be shared by many M owners, is "Damn! Why didn't they do this
five years ago. I'd LOVE to have this lens; but at this point in my
shift from film to digital, there is no way I can rationalize spending
this kind of money on a piece of film equipment."

Now a 35 or 28 Noctilux, that comes close to the 35 Summilux ASPH or 28
Summicron ASPH? That would be another story entirely, because it would
allow me to get shots I can't get with digital, and would therefore be
worth my buying.

Ah well....

B. D.