Subject: [Leica] This here fancy 50
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Thu May 27 10:43:38 2004

"B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> wrote:

> But there are two really important points here, Doug -
> 1. You produce work to SELL;

Not really.  I produce work for myself; that the photos sell is more of a happy accident than deliberate.  My marketing effort consists of putting the photos on my website.  That's about it.

> 2. You replaced one of your primary lenses with an improved version of
> that lens.

For wildlife photos 280mm is very short, and is considered marginally usable by the vast majority of wildlife photographers.  To make it useful I have to get MUCH closer to the animals than they ordinarily allow - which takes time, patience, a reasonable knowledge of their body language, and some means of communicating my intentions.  Spending more on a marginally usable lens than on any other piece of equipment is absurd, but when I saw the image quality the lens could produce - sharpness, bokeh, color saturation - I made the extra effort to create the situations where I could use it.

There are 5 rolls of slides to pick up at the lab, most of 'em exposed with the 280 - watch this space :-)

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com