Subject: [Leica] Re: 50/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri May 28 05:52:20 2004

> A friend of mine got recently hooked with B&W photography. In the past he
> didn't know it better and bought a large amounts of sophisticated AF
> equipment with ultrafast AF-motors, eye-detected sharpness indictators and
> so on for large sums of money.
>
> Not very astonishing (for me) the first few films with portraiture he gave
> me for development were wrong exposed and about 30% were grossly unsharp.
> I'm now in the process of converting him to a Leica M...
>

> Martin

Grossly wrong exposed and unsharp spends like user era to me.
He didn?t bother to read a basic photography book and/or the manual to the
camera. Is this approach going to help him with the M system which is far
less a system for idiots? Af cameras can be set at P and it's hard to screw
them up your friend must have had real talent taking it off that setting
without reading the manual and getting some background knowledge as I said.
I hope he does more justice to the M system than he did to the Canon!
But why that would be the case I don?t know.
If its a question of trying to shoot at an 8th of a second with a 50 and
your exposure compensation set to minus 2 when you don?t even know what that
is for or what it is.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon