Subject: [Leica] Re: 50/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
From: martin at jangowski.de (Martin Jangowski)
Date: Fri May 28 05:05:11 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004, DKhong wrote:

> Friends
>
> We are now on the threshold of pushing boundaries in the realm of photography.
>
> In the digital world, the challenges are quite obvious. IMO, they have to
> improve on the lag phase, washed out highlights, need to spend hours on end
> getting the final hard image just right for the hard copy (which I see less
> despite larger numbers of images captured), photo file management ( I can
> see my descendants just letting that CD-ROM with all my best taken images
> just rot further) surprising numbers of blur shots on hard copy that seems
> to appear sharp on the LCD on camera (maybe optical illusion, no?)  more
> economical home digital prints (i.e. cheaper ink cartridges), just to name
> a few.
>
> In the film world, it is sharpness all the way to the film edge, larger
> aperture (maybe f1.0 is the norm one day), and better B&W films.  I still
> love to look at that album where my dad kept those prints taken in the mid
> 1900's.
>
> LIfe goes in circles. Digital is king today.........film again next?

A friend of mine got recently hooked with B&W photography. In the past he
didn't know it better and bought a large amounts of sophisticated AF
equipment with ultrafast AF-motors, eye-detected sharpness indictators and
so on for large sums of money.

Not very astonishing (for me) the first few films with portraiture he gave
me for development were wrong exposed and about 30% were grossly unsharp.
I'm now in the process of converting him to a Leica M...

Martin

| Martin Jangowski                         E-Mail: Martin@Jangowski.de|
|                        Netzwerke und Multimedia                     |
| Voice: +49 7946/940790                         Fax: +49 7946/940791 |
| Snail Mail: Von-Olnhausen Str. 4            74626 Bretzfeld Germany |

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Re: 50/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH)