Subject: [Leica] spry, alert, 88 years old...
From: mcintyre at ca.inter.net (Jim McIntyre)
Date: Sun May 30 19:48:08 2004

Steve,

Your posting reminded me of a slide I've had in my files for many years. I
found it, scanned it, and posted it to my site. It's of my grandmother in
1988, when she was (also) a spry 90 years old. Not taken with a Leica --
Nikon FM with a 50 on Kodachrome 64.

http://members.rogers.com/jmcdesigns/jamesstreet/Mary.html

She passed away just a few years later, and was the only grandparent I
really related to. Unfortunately I was in Ottawa and she was in Prince
Edward Island! The teacup she holds we have in our house. When she was a
young lady, she worked as a "ladies companion" in Boston, keeping wealthy
older ladies "company". She often received china teacups as presents. The
chair she's in was my grandfather's, who passed away about 13 years before
this picture.

I can't say enough about the value of our older generation. My parents are
heading to their 80s, and my children, who are only a few minutes away, love
visiting and share many wonderful conversations.

Such is the power of a photograph -- yours -- that can spark such memories
and emotions beyond just the literal representation within.

jim