Subject: [Leica] Lack of horror for the week
From: chmphoto at sbcglobal.net (Clive Moss)
Date: Wed Jun 2 15:04:57 2004

grduprey@rockwellcollins.com said the following on 6/2/2004 8:46 AM:
> Ted
>
> To be absolutely correct, you are an American, just like any Mexican, and
> All South Americans are.  The reference of America/American has been mis
> used for the last 200 + years.  Those of us that are generally referred to
> as the Americans are to be properly to be called United States citizens,
> who are also Americans.  Americans are anyone who is native/citizens to any
> of the countries on the 2 American Continents.

Language is defined by usage, not by history. If a word has been
"misused" for 200 years, its meaning has changed. The original "meaning"
no longer holds. Most words change their meanings over time. Our
language of today would not be understood a thousand years ago.

To stay on topic, Leica once meant "Leitz Camera". It is now completely
disassociated from Leitz!

Current definitions of "American" include:

american

\A*mer"i*can\, n. A native of America; -- originally applied to the
aboriginal inhabitants, but now applied to the descendants of Europeans
born in America, and especially to the citizens of the United States.

The name American must always exalt the pride of patriotism. --Washington.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, ? 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

american

adj 1: of or relating to the United States of America or its people or
language or culture; "American citizens"; "American English"; "the
American dream" [syn: American] 2: of or relating to or characteristic
of the continents and islands of the Americas; "the American
hemisphere"; "American flora and fauna" [syn: American] n 1: a native or
inhabitant of the United States [syn: American] 2: the English language
as used in the US [syn: American English, American language, American]
3: a native or inhabitant of America [syn: American]

Source: WordNet ? 1.6, ? 1997 Princeton University

--
Clive
http://www.pbase.com/chmoss/root