Subject: [Leica] ricky...
From: mcintyre at ca.inter.net (Jim McIntyre)
Date: Wed Jun 2 18:48:57 2004

Steve,

Once again, you've got me. I have a son about 14...he cycles off on his own
for soccer practice. He's a smart kid, not reckless daring or oblivious. And
Lord knows he's been on enough bike rides with me to know about crossing
against red lights and zipping through stop signs. But as a parent, I
worry...even when I shouldn't. And seeing your images reminds me to cherish
every moment with him -- and his two younger siblings. My son is not going
to make his living or even his college tuition with his athletic prowess.
But he enjoys it and it is something he should enjoy the rest of his life. I
can only hope your subject -- Ricky -- recovers enough of his mobility to
even have a chance at an "active" life. That said, it is a testament to the
human spirit to see his cheery face and seemingly optimistic outlook. I'm
reminded also of my teenage trials. I contracted cancer at the ripe old age
of 16. Going to the cancer clinic for treatment I was surrounded by fellow
patients 2, 3 or more times my age. But I had that youthful bliss that it
will work out. Much has been said about "the power of positive thinking",
but I firmly believe my survival had a lot to do with that...17 years later.
I sense that optimism in your young subject.

I wish Ricky every moment of success, however small. To partially quote WC
Fields...all things considered...

Thanks again for sharing such deep and compelling moments.