Subject: [Leica] RD/BD Confusion
From: nicholsj at edge.net (JAMES NICHOLS)
Date: Wed Jun 2 19:08:41 2004

Walker,
You are quoting the normal information on the BD/RD changeover, which is correct.  However, the numbers in question are engraved on the camera top cap plate, beneath the shutter speed dial.  This is the same piece of metal that bears the camera serial number, so it could not be changed without a major investment.  I just reexamined the camera under a magnifier, and, when the light angle is right to show the red color in the "25" on the shutter speed dial, the synchro numbers still look black.  When I get a chance, I will try to shoot strobe flash at 1/50th using the synchro setting of "20".  If that works, its a Red Dial IIIF.  If not, its still a puzzle.
Thanks for the help.
Jim Nichols
nicholsj@edge.net