Subject: [Leica] Re: Depression
From: Teresa299 at aol.com (Teresa299@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jun 3 08:28:50 2004

In a message dated 6/3/04 6:27:58 AM, grduprey@rockwellcollins.com writes:

<<

Well said Ted and Tina.  Not being a professional photographer, I find it
hard to put a price on my work when I have the occasional sale.  I often
end up selling it for far less than it is worth.  Maybe this is a possible
topic for this forum?  This would go a long way to educate those of us who
would like to sell some photos, but do not have a good reference on how to
price our work.

Gene >>

 talk about inexpensive....  I've seen folks selling their photos on ebay for
$5 and $10.  And then there are the folks selling (what I assume are stolen)
images for 2 to 4 times that.   This happens in the crafts industry as well.
In the days before NAFTA there used to be a much larger number of potters who
hand made functional items such as water crocks, planters, dinnerware.   Now
having to compete with 3 cents an hour workers, many functional potters (unless
they developed a fervent following) have had to abandon
those areas to imports or amateurs who can afford to sell their wares at
import pricing.

It seems that many schools in the United States (note I didn't say america!)
have abandoned art education.  When I do public sales, I'm finding I'm having
to do A LOT more education of the public about the process of
art/craftsmanship than I ever have before and frenquently to people who are in their 20's.
Lots of people who drive up to a pottery sale in a BMW roadster, crying foul
when having to pay over $12 for a handmade mug seems very commonplace right
now....

Kim

Replies: Reply from jon.stanton at comcast.net (Jon) ([Leica] Re: Depression)