Subject: [Leica] Re: Depression
From: jon.stanton at comcast.net (Jon)
Date: Thu Jun 3 10:15:56 2004

 "talk about inexpensive....    This happens in the crafts industry as well.
In the days before NAFTA there used to be a much larger number of potters
who hand made functional items such as water crocks, planters, dinnerware.
Now having to compete with 3 cents an hour workers, many functional potters
(unless they developed a fervent following) have had to abandon those areas
to imports or amateurs who can afford to sell their wares at import pricing.
It seems that many schools in the United States (note I didn't say America!)
have abandoned art education.  When I do public sales, I'm finding I'm
having to do A LOT more education of the public about the process of
art/craftsmanship than I ever have before and frequently to people who are
in their 20's. Lots of people who drive up to a pottery sale in a BMW
roadster, crying foul when having to pay over $12 for a handmade mug seems
very commonplace right now...."

Kim,  I agree with you although I would hardly put all the blame on NAFTA as
most of the ceramic items come from China (BTW I have 3 kilns and 1500 molds
if you are interested) Keep in mind also that most schools have dropped
their music programs. My first degree is in music. I could teach privately
(trumpet). I am loath against unions else I would have continued my
professional career. I think I have met your BMW couple...As a tax
accountant in Silicon Valley I had several clients making over $300k that
had a tantrum when I billed them $200 for a tax return.