Subject: FS: Fine prints (was: Re: [Leica] pricing prints)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Jun 3 16:51:27 2004

On 6/3/04 3:08 PM, "Douglas Herr" <telyt@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> wrote:
>
>> Your typical up and coming but unheard of yet photographers 8x10 or 11x14
>> fiber archival (of course) print goes for 2 or 3 hundred bucks. Black and
>> white more so than color but that depends on the color process.
>
> [DELUSIONAL FANTASY]
> With this in mind this week's LUG special pricing is double the prices listed
> on my website.  Don't pay too little for your fine photographs, and be sure to
> buy them while I'm still unheard of.  Time is running out!
> [/DELUSIONAL FANTASY]
> This photograph (http://www.wildlightphoto.com/mammals/moose.html) will soon
> be appearing on the cover of "Moose Tales for Kids", a music DVD.
>
> Prints of photographs made with Leica-R equipment are listed at
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com/leicaprints.html
>
> and all prints available including photographs made with off-topic equipment
> are at http://www.wildlightphoto.com/ordering.html
>

> Doug Herr

How did you establish those prices Doug? From the so called photographers
selling stuff on the internet? I think you should go with what I had said
which are photographers who have shows in legit galleries; Fine art
photographers. And as far as I am concerned that includes you. I consider
both quality nature as well as photojournalism photography. (Tina or Salgato
and others) to be fine art and be in the fine art market. And other people
do too. I did not pull these numbers out of the top of my hat check them out
yourself. You need to triple your prices I really mean it.
You are changing the prices commercial photographers charge for prints AFTER
THEY HAVE GOTTEN THEIR HOURLY OR DAY RATE.
The prints are thought of as almost being done AT COST as a service to the
client.
You've not gotten a grand from these people up front to be out there
shooting. You need to get it in the printing and the handling. And be
competitive with people who have one third your talent. You are getting paid
for handling and that?s about it. Time to start getting paid for your
expertise, vision and commitment which is in no way second tier.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon

New-improved
http://rabinergroup.com/

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) (FS: Fine prints (was: Re: [Leica] pricing prints))