Subject: [Leica] Re: M7 base plate plastic! My Black Paint is better than yours
From: lowiemanuel at yahoo.ca (Emanuel Lowi)
Date: Sat Jun 5 06:20:56 2004

Phong Doan wrote:

> Let me get this straight:  So you use this archival
> library
> self-stick, double-layered material that is easy to
> remove
> and does not leave a residue to protect the plastic
> undercover of your Leicavit ?  :-)
>
> Everyone, have a great weekend !
>
> - Phong
> Leicavit, Aquavit, Leiquavit.
> Sounds like a Scandinavian liquor to me.

Now let's not slag Rei for protecting his costly gear.

I agree with Ted that our Leicas are our tools and
must be used. They're not fetishistic icons that
should only be taken out into the bluest of moonlight.

But photographers who brag about how they regularly
smash their cameras against immoveable objects or
spray them with noxious substances are too macho for
me.

I'm pretty sure that the "vit" in Leicavit comes from
the French for fast (vite), with no connection to the
Scandinavian liquor ;-).

The Germans could've stuck with the language of Goethe
and called them Leicaschnell, but the four extra
letters would've messed up the elegant 1950s graphics.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal

Replies: Reply from phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong) ([Leica] Re: M7 base plate plastic! My Black Paint is better thanyours)